The Dallas/Fort Worth area is the fastest-growing metro area in Texas, and the nation. The DFW Metroplex is the fourth largest metropolitan area in the country, with a population of 7.1 million people, according to recent data. What brings people to DFW? At least one reason is the jobs. The unemployment rate has been consistently lower than both the Texas and national aver- ages at 3.6 percent as of November 2016.
In addition, 22 DFW companies made the Fortune 500 list in 2018, including American Ai r l ines, E x xon Mobil Corp., and Dallas- based AT&T. There are more than 70,000 firms in the area, with 90,000 physical business establishments. The DFW area is home to over 10,000 corporate headquarters, making it the largest concentration of corporate headquarters in the United States.
Like other areas in Texas, DFW has plenty of employment opportunities for those who choose to relocate here. In addition, CNBC named Texas America’s Top State for Business in recent years. The area has also consistently had a low cost of living, around the same as Houston, and considerably lower than Austin. With plenty of opportunity, it’s no wonder the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex has seen such growth.
The following is a list of the top 25 largest employers in the DFW area, ranked by how many employees they have locally. If you’re looking for a job in the DFW area, it’s a good place to start:
1. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.Headquarters: 702 SW 8th St. Bentonville, AR 72716 800-331-0085 www.corporate.walmart.com Wal-Mart employs approximately 2.2 million associates worldwide, with 25,534 of those residing in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Taking a job with Wal-Mart means an opportunity to build a career. 75% of Wal-Mart management teams began their careers as associates. Wal-Mart boast of community giving and promoting environ-mental sustainability within their company.
2. American Airlines Group, Inc.Headquarters: 4333 Amon Carter Blvd. Fort Worth TX 76155 800-433-7300 www.aa.com American Airlines Group, Inc. is the world’s largest airline, and serves 350 cities across 50 countries, with thousands of daily flights. The company’s main headquarters are in Fort Worth, and include the American, American Eagle, and American Connec- tion lines. American Airlines is part of the oneworld® alliance, a group of the world’s leading airlines, committed to providing the hightest level of service. Visit www.aacareers.com for information on employment opportunities with American Airlines.
3. Dallas ISDHeadquarters: 3700 Ross Avenue Dallas TX 75204 972-925-3700 www.dallasisd.org/dallasisd With schools spread across 384 square miles, Dallas ISD serves 150,000 students in 230 schools in the cities of Dallas, Cockrell Hill, Seagoville, Addison, Wilmer, and parts of other areas, including Carrollton, Cedar Hill, Duncanville, Garland, and others.
4. Texas Health Resources Inc.19230 employees Headquarters: 612 E Lamar Blvd. Arlington TX 76011 682-236-7900 www.texashealth.org/jobs As one of the largest faith-based, non-profit health care systems in the nation, Texas Health Resources (THR) has 14 hospitals and more than 19,000 employees in the DFW area. Texas Health Resources was named in one of the top places to work in the State of Texas by GreatPlacestoWork.com.
5. Baylor Scott & WhiteHeadquarters: 4005 Crutcher St. #130 Dallas TX 75246 800-422-9567 www.baylorscottandwhite.com Baylor Scott & White is the largest not-for-profit health care system in Texas and one of the largest in the United States. Baylor Scott & White provides full-range inpatient, outpatient and, rehabilitation and emergency medical services through 48 hospitals and more than 1,000 patient access points. “Great Places To Work” ranked Baylor Scott & White one the “Best Places to Work in Healthcare”.
6. Bank of America Corp.Local base: 901 Main St. Dallas TX 75202 Headquarters: Charlotte NC 800-432-1000 www.bankofamerica.com Bank of America is one of the largest financial institutions in the world, and, is the second largest bank in the United States by assets. Bank of America serves small and middle market businesses and individual customers with everything from investing, to asset management, to banking.
7. Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co.Local base: 1 Lockheed Blvd. Fort Worth TX 76108 Headquarters: Bethesda MD 817-777-2000 www.lockheedmartin.com Lockheed Martin provides innovations in aeronautics, information systems, global solutions, missiles and fire control, mission systems and training, and space systems. The company made $53.8 billion in sales in 2018, and was ranked 64h on the 2018 Fortune 500 list of largest industrial corporations. The Fort Worth facility builds mainly military aircraft, such as the F-16 Fighting Falcon and the F-117 Nighthawk.
8. City of DallasHeadquarters: 1500 Marilla Street Dallas TX 75201 www.dallascityhall.com The City of Dallas has a population of over 1,340,000 people and employs over 13,000 of them. As the third-largest city in Texas, it is located mostly in Dallas county, but small portions are also in Collin, Denton, Kaufman, and Rockwell counties.
9. Texas Instruments Inc.Headquarters: 12500 TI Blvd. Dallas TX 75243 972-995-2011 www.ti.com Texas Instruments designs and supplies semiconductors and digital signal processing solutions for the world market. Dallas is home to TI’s American opera- tions, which has been on “Fortune’s Most Admired Companies List” for over 10 consecutive years
10. JP Morgan Chase & Co.Local base: 2200 Ross Ave. Dallas TX 75201 Headquarters: New York NY 800-935-9935 www.chase.com JP Morgan is one of the largest banks in Texas. It serves 21 million households, services 6 million customers world- wide. JPMorgan Chase Bank has ranked one of America’s Best Banks of 2018 by Forbes. Its Dallas headquarters is in the JP Morgan Chase Tower, one of the tallest skyscrapers in the city with over 55 stories.
11. UT-Southwestern Medical CenterHeadquarters: 5323 Harry Hines Blvd. Dallas TX 75390 214-648-3111 www.utsouthwestern.edu The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center has three degree- granting institutions which train 4,600 medical, graduate, and health profession students per year. They are one of the world’s top academic medical centers, treating more than 60 subspecialties, several of which are consistantly ranked among the nation’s best by United States News & World Report.
12. HCA North TexasLocal base: 6565 N. McArthur Blvd. Suite 5350 Irving TX 75039 Headquarters: Nashville TN 972-401-8750 www.hcanorthtexas.com HCA, Inc. was founded in 1968 and was one of the nation’s first hospital companies. The company provides around 4 or 5 percent of all medical care in the nation. HCA North Texas has numerous hospitals, imaging, and surgery centers throughout the DFW area, including the Denton Regional Medical Center, the Medical Center of Lewisville, and the Medical City Dallas Hospital, among others.
13. Fort Worth ISDHeadquarters: 100 N. University Dr. Fort Worth TX 76107 817-871-2000 www.fwisd.org The public school system of Fort Worth was founded in 1882, and today employs over 10,000 teachers and staff. All hiring for the Fort Worth ISD is done through their Human Capital Management organization
14. Parkland Health and HospitalHeadquarters: 5201 Harry Hines Blvd. Dallas TX 75235 214-590-8000 www.parklandhospital.com For more than a century, Parkland Health and Hospital has served Dallas County with talented medical professionals. Parkland has 12 medical centers in the Dallas area, including the Burn Intensive Care Unit, the Arrhythmia Management Center, and a Diabetes Treatment Center. Parkland also operates 20 community-based clinics, 12 school-based clinics and numerous outreach and education programs.
15. Southwest AirlinesHeadquarters: 2702 Lovefield Dallas TX 75235 214-590-4000 www.southwest.com Southwest Airlines is currently in its 46th year of service in 2017. They have more than 53,000 employee nationally (with 8,910 of those being in the Dallas-Fort Worth area) and have more than 100 million customers annually. Southwest operates a network of 101 destinations in the United States and eight additional countries with more than 3,900 departures a day during peak travel season.
16. Target Corp.Local base: 555 Republic Dr. Plano TX 75074 Headquarters: Minneapolis MN 800-440-0680 www.target.com The first Target store opened in 1962, and in the very same year it gained the nickname “Tarzhay.” The company has 1,700+ stores in the United States and 82 in Canada, supporting 361,000 employees. Target believes in supporting the community and gives 5 percent of their profit to charities.
17. Verizon CommunicationsHeadquarters: 600 Hidden Ridge Irving TX 75038 800-837-4966 www.verizon.com Verizon Communications employs more than 8,100 residing right in the Dallas- Fort Worth area. They specialize in 4G and 5G wireless technologies and broadband and fiber. Verizon also offers solutions in managed security In 2017 alone Verizon has been names one of the “Top Corporations for Women’s Business Enterprises” by Women’s Business Enterprise, and a “Top 50 Employer” by Equal Opportunity Magazine.
18. Raytheon CompanyLocal base: 2501 W. University Dr. McKinney TX 75071 Headquarters: Waltham MA 972-952-2000 www.raytheon.com Established in 1922, Raytheon achieved $27 billion in sales in 2018. The company provides a broad range of mission support systems, including state-of- the-art electronics and mission systems integration for customers around the world. Raytheon employs 8,000 people in 7 different facilities in the DFW area.
19. Garland Independent School DistrictHeadquarters: 501 S. Jupiter Dallas TX 75042 972-494-8201 www.garlandisd.net Garland Independent School District educates over 56,000 students across 72 campuses. Garland ISD ranks as the second-largest district in Dallas County and fourth-largest in Dallas-Fort Worth, 13th Largest in Texas and is among the 70-largest in America. The district employs 7,211 teachers and administrative staff.
20. Plano Independent School DistrictHeadquarters: 2700 W. 15th Street Plano TX 75075 469-752-8100 www.pisd.edu Plano ISD serves the residents of approximately 100 square miles in southwest Collin County. In the 2016-2017 school year, Plano ISD had 72 total campuses and had a total student enrollment of 54,818. The staff of Plano ISD has grown to 6,854 teachers and administrative staff. Plano ISD also boasts of one the highest performances on college entrance exams in the nation.
21. City of Fort WorthHeadquarters: 1000 Throckmorton St. Fort Worth TX 76102 817-392-2255 fortworthtexas.gov The City of Fort Worth is broken into 9 districts, and is located in Tarrant and Denton Counties. As one of the fast- est-growing cities over the last decade, the city is expected to exceed 1 million people by 2030.
22. Dallas CountyHeadquarters: 509 Main Street #101 Dallas TX 75202 214-653-7668 www.dallascounty.org Dallas County is the second most populous county in Texas and the ninth-most populous in the United States. Working for Dallas County is a way to make a difference in the community, with jobs available in health and social services, law enforcement, teachers and so many more. They offer challenging oppor- tunities in a diverse and dynamic work environment.
23. Alcon Laboratories Inc.Headquarters: 6201 South Freeway Fort Worth TX 76134 817-293-0450 www.alcon.com Alcon Laboratories Inc. is a cutting-edge company focused on the optical industry with three different businesses offering board spectrum of products: Surgical, Pharmaceutical and Vision Care. Alcon currently has over 5,800 employees within the Dallas-Forth Worth area.
24. Cook Children’s Health Care SystemHeadquarters: 801 7th Avenue Fort Worth TX 76134 817-293-0450 www.cookchildrens.org Cook Children’s Health Care System provides exceptional healthcare to children every day in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Recently, Cook Children’s Health Care System received five different accolades from U.S. News & World Report for cancer, cardiology and heart surgery, diabetes and endocrinology, neurology and neurosurgery and orthopedics.
25. Kroger Co.Local base: 1331 E. Airport Fwy. Irving TX 75062 Headquarters: Cincinnati OH 972-785-6000 www.kroger.com Kroger is one of the largest retail companies in the United States Kroger operates 2,800 stores in 35 states and two dozen banner stores. There are 211 Kroger- owned supermarkets in Texas, almost half of those are in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metropolitan Area.