A move comes with many changes for a family. Together you must navigate a new city new jobs new schools and establishing a new day to day. Once you’re settled in your home one of the most important decisions you’ll make as a parent is finding a new medical home for your child.
“A primary care pediatrician is your go-to partner in caring for all aspects of your child’s health” says Ray Tsai M.D. Senior Vice President and Medical Director of Network Development at Children’s HealthSM. “It’s important to find someone you can count on both when your child is sick and when your child is well.”
There are many factors to consider when choosing a primary care pediatrician. A good place to start is asking new neighbors friends and colleagues for recommendations. When researching options six important questions to ask include:
- Is the practice location convenient to my home?
- What are the practice’s hours – and are they convenient to my family’s schedule?
- Does the practice accept my insurance?
- Is the medical staff board-certified and pediatric focused?
- What do I do if my child gets sick after hours?
- Under what conditions do I call the office as opposed to bringing my child in?
If your child has a specific medical condition make sure the physician has experience treating children with that same condition and has a good working relationship with a specialist in that area.
Before you make a final decision Dr. Tsai recommends setting up an appointment to see how the practice runs and how well you mesh with the physician and office staff.
“Pay attention to the physician’s personality or demeanor as your questions are being answered” he says. “Note whether the staff works collaboratively with each other how easy or difficult it is to make an appointment if the office is clean and if the patients in the waiting room look happy.”
Of all the questions you ask the most important is if you trust and feel comfortable with your child’s medical provider. Selecting a primary care pediatrician that you and your child feel at ease with is a vital step in his or her health and well-being. Once you’ve found the right fit you’ll feel right at home.
About Children’s HealthSM Pediatric Group
Children’s Health Pediatric Group cares for all aspects of your child and his or her health care needs such as well child exams and immunizations; treatment of common illnesses like colds and the flu; and treatment of chronic conditions such as asthma as well as behavioral health support.
Children’s Health Pediatric Group:
- Has 17 convenient locations
- Cares for newborns through age 18
- Is affiliated with Children’s Medical Center Dallas and Plano
- Accepts most insurance including Medicaid and CHIP
- Has evening hours and most locations are open Saturday
- Has doctors who speak multiple languages
To learn more and to find a primary care physician visit Children’s Health online.