Destination DFW Navy Logo
Moving to Texas with a Car
What New Residents Need to Know
Published on: January 10, 2022
old truck in carport with American flag in background

Before you leave your current city, check with your current car insurance agent to see if they are licensed in the state of Texas. If they are not, you will need to find a new agent to insure your car when you move. Chances are if you are with a national company it may be a simple transition, however it may not hurt to shop around.

The state of Texas is a “Fault” car accident state. Which means that the state requires drives to pay for accidents they cause. Below are the minimum insurance requirements for Texas drivers is 30/60/25:

  • $30,000 for bodily injury liability per person injured in an accident you cause
  • $60,000 for total bodily injury when two or more people are injured in an accident you cause, and
  • $25,000 for property damage per accident you cause

In addition, new Texas residents must get their vehicle safely inspected by a Texas Department of Public Safety accredited local inspection station, which can be found online at

Depending on the county in which they live, new residents may also have to get an emissions test. Testing consists of one of two methods, On-Board Diagnostics (OBDII), which handles 1996 and newer cars and TSI. If your car fails emissions, you can find a repair facility by visiting

Once you pass inspection and emissions, you then proceed to your local county tax office. Registration must take place within 30 days of moving. When you go to register your car, make sure you bring the following items:

  • The inspection certificate
  • Proof of Liability Insurance
  • Completed Form 130-U
  • The Vehicle’s Odometer Reading if it is less than 10 years old
  • An original out of state title, proof of registration, proof of sales tax payment or current foreign/military ownership
  • If you have a lien on the car, you must bring a completed VTR-272 Form
Sources: Texas Gov